Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving

A few weeks ago, I participated in a retreat like event called the walk to Emmaus. While there were a few things we did that I felt were just kinda weird, overall it was biblically based and some things that took place I will never forget as long as I live and for that reason alone, I suggested Amy do it. This past weekend Amy went on the walk and it was more beneficial to me than it could have ever been to her. My eyes were opened to some things that I had not seen before:

1) There are so many things that have to be taken care of....trash, laundry, cleaning, taking the dog out, feeding it, going to the store, getting kids dressed (Amy set me, Josh, and Haileys clothes out for the whole weekend and labled them for which day we were to wear them), bathed, fed, off to school, changing diapers, changing clothes.....everyone and everything demands little chunks of your time which does not leave a lot of time for yourself. And....I only had to do it for 3 days!!! At the end of every day, I was drained. I used to wonder why Amy wanted to go to bed at 1030pm and now I know why. I joked and said I would rather work manual labor for 18hrs a day than to be a stay at home parent because it would be less work I think.

2) How much in love with my wife I really am and what a treasure God has given to me.

3) How I took her for granted and how lost I would be in this world without her.

4) She is the glue that holds our family together.

5) How little I did to help her out.

6) How I was disrespectful to her in so many ways, and how I disregarded how important she really is to me.

7) What a beautiful woman she is.

8) How ashamed I am of how I have behaved toward her.

There are two things I am thankful for this Thanksgiving (and every other day):

The free gift of salvation given to me through Christ and the greatest treasure known to man, his wife!!

I LOVE AND APPRECIATE YOU SO MUCH AMY!!